Development collaboration workflow
To support our dedication to the future of Koha, most funds raised by koha-US are applied to the development of the software. Members are in control when it comes to choosing and managing developments funded by koha-US.
- To propose a development the following must be submitted:
- Description of the function
- Number of the Bug in bugzilla
- Quote for the work
- Submit development to https://devs.bywatersolutions.com/ (note: need to ask ByWater how to best submit this request both for partners and unsupported)
- The Development Committee will vet proposals
- Choosing from what has been submitted to https://devs.bywatersolutions.com/ the committee will select developments to be voted on
- Considerations will include factors like broad appeal, estimate of total cost, funding commitments already in place, etc.
- Determine the maximum % koha-US would fund
- Those advocating for developments are always welcome to attend the Development Committee meetings
- The proposal will go before the membership.
- Vote between developments selected and not funding a development
- If voting yes, a pledge amount to support the proposal can added contingent on the development being funded by koha-US ($0-$100,000)
- Once the proposal is selected by vote, the development committee will have the options to pursue additional quotes from vendors. Final vendor selection will be decided by factoring in cost of the development, the speed the development can be delivered, and the reputation of the vendor to successfully get the bug pushed to master.
- If koha-US does not have enough funds to cover the final cost of development the Development Committee will try to raise contributions from the community to meet the quoted cost.
- A statement of work (or contract) will be signed by a member of the Koha-US Board with the selected vendor. The contract needs to include a clause that states 50% of the funding will be paid up front and 50% will be paid at completion of the development. For vendors that charge an hourly rate, payment will be rendered after work is underway on the development . An agreement outlining the statement of work will be entered into with the selected vendor.
- If a development is completed before we are able to fund it, any money raised will be allocated for specifically funding other developments (and not other budget items.)
- An ad hoc committee which includes the proposal submitter and members of the Development Committee will form and follow the development through
- Finalizing the spec
- Monitoring the development and answering questions
- Testing and signing off
- When the development is pushed to master, the Koha-US membership will be notified.
Updated by a vote of the membership on 9/15/2023.
Developments in Progress
- Self checkout batch mode – 2023 – $1270 (plus processing fees)